Monday, January 12, 2015

Sweater Sleeve Refashion

Over the past few months, I've received several emails asking me to do more refashions and craft ideas.  I realized then that my blog had taken a different turn and I missed doing refashions and crafts/DIY too!  So, thank you for your emails...I love hearing from you!!...and I promise to do more of those.  Unfortunately, I've donated so many things in my closet lately that I don't have much left to refashion, and where I live now we don't have the best thrifting options.  I will try my best, but hang tight with me until I can build up a good stash again.  I think I just talked myself into a great thifting roadtrip soon!

Until then, I have this easy refashion for you.  I recently wore this grey sweater, and after looking at the photos I realized how hard it is to style.  I'm not sure if it's because it doesn't button up all the way, the color, or the over-sized sleeves.  After much debate I decided to throw it in the donation pile.


My youngest daughter was watching me and said, "Mommy, I love that sweater!  You can't get rid of it"!  I asked her if she wanted it, and of course, she got the biggest grin on her face and snatched it out of my hand.  Once again, I gained "cool mom" status.

She then proceeded to tell me that if I took in the sleeves, she would wear it.  Easy fix!  I love to sew and I love to refashion.  Here she is wearing it "before" and you can see how large the sleeves are.


I turned the sweater wrong side out and just eyeballed it for the width of the new sleeve, and sewed from the edge up to the armpit at an angle.


Chopped off the extra fabric close to the seam.  I didn't finish the edge because the stitching will keep it from unraveling.


She is so proud of her new sweater.  Don't the sleeves look better?  I think so, and if she's happy that's all that matters.  Looks cuter on her anyway! 


Thank you again to all of you that emailed me!  Big hugs to you!  It reminded me why I started this blog...This blog is about my life and all the good things I'm learning along the way.

You can also follow along with me on...

16 comments:

  1. You have a smart daughter!!! :)))) Excellent idea to take in the sleeves, love it!!! Me too wouldn't have thrown it away..

    Rosa
    Styleyourselfinstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter knows her fashion. She made this sweater instantly modern by tucking in the sleeve. Very nice post.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize I've fallen off the DIY train, too! Love the change you made to the sweater! Quick and easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! I can't wait to get crafting/DIYing again!!

      Delete
  4. I love this post! Great sweater too! -xx

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well look at that- I love the refashioned version!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! My daughter loves it now too!

      Delete
  6. The sleeves looks great! Man I wish I could sew, that is one valuable skill I lack. You're totally cool mom status :)

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke! Sewing is one of the greatest things I ever learned. I love to sew!

      Delete
  7. Superb refashion. It looks brand new & perfect for your daughter. I actually enjoy the flared sleeves but as long as you're a cool mom.
    :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carmen! I'll all about "cool mom" status! :)

      Delete
  8. Nice jacket!! artist ;)
    Kisses from Spain.
    Xoxo, P.

    My Showroom


    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...