Monday, December 15, 2014

Easy Long Scarf Tutorial and Favorite Holiday Traditions

I have been on the hunt for the perfect plaid scarf that will go with multiple items in my closet, but since I hadn't found the one, I decided to make my own.  I've seen several tutorials out there that you have to end up making two because of the length of fabric needed.  Well, I only needed one scarf and didn't want someone else having the same exact scarf so I decided to improvise. :)


I started with 2/3 yard of this gorgeous plaid fabric that was 45". 


 I folded it the hot dog way so I could make it long.


Then cut on the long fold to create two pieces.


With right sides together I sewed the two short ends together to create one long piece.  In all honesty, I did not line up my plaid.  I knew the seam wouldn't show and it wasn't that big of a deal for me. :)


Now comes the tricky part.  My sewing machine came with an edge curler foot, so that's what I used.


This part is a little difficult if you've never done it before.  You have to feed your fabric through the curl foot, and it can be a little frustrating until you get the hang of it.  Keep trying because it's worth it!  If you don't have a curl foot, you could always press the edges down twice and sew close to the edge.


You can see here how it curls and finishes the edge all nice and pretty.


The ends were the salvages, so I didn't need to finish them.

Because of the length, I'm able to wear my scarf several different ways.  Here I wrapped it around my neck twice.


Here it is wrapped around my neck once loosely.


And here, I tied the short ends together and made it into an infinity scarf. I wrapped it around my neck twice.


I absolutely love how it turned out!  It goes with so many items in my closet, so I'm sure you'll see me wearing it here a lot!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Today I'm also teaming up with a fabulous group of bloggers to bring you our Favorite Holiday Traditions!



nathyholiday Earnestyle

Linking up here.

29 comments:

  1. As always a great job with your DIY. Love the pretty colorful plaid on it. And I loved reading everyone's Holiday Traditions. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed reading them.

      Delete
  2. Great DIY, and such a pretty plaid. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice diy project. Beautiful fabric. I'm working on my tulle skirt for Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martina! I would love to see how your skirt turns out!

      Delete
  4. Love, LOVE the pattern of this scarf!

    Shauna

    www.lipglossandlace.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to make your own scarf! I love the Christmas eve candle service, too.

    Lisa @ Daily Style Finds

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial! So fun that you can make your own! I will have to try it!

    http://www.lifeofbrookeandjane.blogspot.com/2014/12/holiday-gift-guide-for-hostess.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ladies! I hope you do try to make one!

      Delete
  7. Awesome tutorial!! Loved it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a fabulous job! I have never tried sewing before, isn't that sad?! Something I need to learn for sure.

    Brooke
    Pumps and Push-Ups

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brooke! I love to sew! I hope you do try and learn it sometime! :)

      Delete
  9. love the plaid! I need to see if I have one of those feet, looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your scarf! Such a brilliant idea to make it yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great scarf and I love reading everyones holiday traditions

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely holiday tradition :) and what a neat DIY scarf tutorial, I am glad you made what you had been looking for. Thank you for linking up to "Bloggers WHo Have Inspired Me" today. Rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOU MADE THAT SCARF!!!? Just brilliant. It turned out fabulous and I loved the way you solved your length problem. Great pattern and color as well!

    Thank you so much for joining the #reasonstodress linkup!

    Angie from reasons to dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angie! I appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  14. Thank you for posting to Motivation Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is fabulous! I love it. Pinned and tweeted. Thanks for being a part of our party! I hope you stop by on Monday at 7 pm. We love to party with you. Merry Christmas! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a great tutorial! I have a sewing machine and can do some 'basic' sewing, so I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...