Thursday, September 18, 2014

Dry Your Own Herbs Tutorial

I am no expert here, but I like to grow my own herbs and dry them.  I like to grow organic seeds in organic soil and let nature take over from there.  I am no gardener either.  This year I grew oregano and rosemary, but for some reason my rosemary didn't grow.

Here is my lonely little oregano plant.  It loves the sun and all the rain we've been having.


I cut some of the oregano off near the soil level.   Then washed it off well and gently patted it dry with some paper towels.


I then hang it from twine to let it air dry.  There are many different ways to dry herbs, but this is what works for me.  It's the easy way.  I just hang a few bunches together in a twine knot.


I hang it from a curtain rod in the kitchen.  Yes, that curtain rod is hideous...it was here when we moved and I just haven't changed it.  Same with the blue walls.  I have twine hanging from both sides of the curtain rod, depending on how much I plan to dry at one time.


Depending on the humidity, the herb can dry in a few days to two weeks.  It will crumble when dry and then I take it out of the twine knots.  It will look like this.


The easiest way I have found to remove it from the stems is to hold the stem at the cut end in one hand, and slide your fingers down the stem with the other hand.  The herb should come off easily.  I put it in a bowl and crumble it with my fingers.


 I'm not real fancy, so I store it in a zip top baggie.  Label it and it's ready to use.


I have used this same method for rosemary and basil and it turns out every time!  I have herbs to use year round and they are so much more flavorful than store bought.  Trust me, this is easy to do!

You could always buy fresh herbs from the grocery store or farmer's market and dry them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...