Monday, September 15, 2014

Another Ruffled T-shirt Tutorial



I recently showed you this ruffled shirt tutorial and this ruffled tank tutorial, but here is one more!  I think this one is my favorite because the ruffles are more full!

It all started out as a large plain t-shirt.  I tried it on and pinned where I wanted to take it in.  I also needed to cut some of the length off, so I marked that as well.


Cut off the bottom portion.  This will be used to make some of your ruffles.  Then stitch along your pin line on the sides and under the arm.  Trim off excess fabric.  Save this fabric to use for your ruffles.


Cut off the hem from the bottom, as you won't be using this part.  Just cut right along the stitching.


I took the bottom section and cut it in half lengthwise.  Now take the pieces of fabric from the sides and the bottom strips and sew end to end, right sides together to form one long strip of fabric.  Don't worry about the side strips that have the curve in them from under the arm, it will not show.  Trim your entire fabric strip so it is about the same width.


Now it's time to ruffle!  The easiest way to do this is to set your machine to the LONGEST stitch and the TIGHTEST tension, and it will ruffle itself as you sew.


Now your ruffles are done and you can place them on your shirt as desired.  I placed mine in a U-shape and repeated until I ran out of ruffle.  Pin in place when you like your design.


Sew on the same stitch line as your ruffle, removing pins as you go.  Be sure to go slow to stay on the line.  Repeat for each strip of ruffle and you're done!  I really like how it turned out!  It went from a boring t-shirt to a fun ruffled top!
 

4 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful! I must also try. It looks at your pics not very difficult. Thanks for the idea and the very good instructions.

    greetings from Germany
    Dana :)
    http://danalovesfashionandmusic.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana! Thank you for the kind words! This ruffled t-shirt is very easy. The hardest part is deciding how to place your ruffles...so many options. If you make one, let me know how it turns out! :)
      -Stephanie

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! Let me know how yours turns out.:)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...