Thursday, August 14, 2014

T-shirt Yarn Statement Necklace Tutorial


I am truly excited to share this tutorial with you today!  I absolutely LOVE the statement necklaces I see everywhere, but unfortunately the ones I like are out of my price range.  So guess what?  I decided to make my own!

I started with some t-shirt scraps I had.  I cut them into strips about 12" x 1".  Then pull the ends so the strips will curl.


Roll the strip of t-shirt into a tight snail-like circle. (Oops!  Please ignore the manicure.)


I glued the ends using Aleene's Fabric Fusion and set them on a piece of cardboard to dry for a couple of hours.  The glue did end up drying clear.


I made circles in various sizes and colors.  I ended up cutting some of my 12" strips in half to get the smaller sizes.  After they were dry, I arranged them to my liking and glued them to another piece of t-shirt fabric.


A couple hours later when the glue was dry I trimmed the excess fabric around the outside of the circles.  I didn't cut out the center so the necklace wouldn't be flimsy, but you can if you don't like that look.


I took two remaining strips of t-shirt and glued it on the back at the top so I can tie it around my neck.  After letting that dry I decided to make some earrings to match.  (I totally guessed at how to do this.)  I already had some fish hook earrings and jump rings from Michael's, so I just tried and tried until something worked...and it did!


I am thrilled with how the necklace and earrings turned out!  If you make a statement necklace, please email me photos...I'd love to see what you do!

Linking up with:  Summer Scraps

2 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...