Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Frumpy Skirt to Sassy Skirt Tutorial


I've had this skirt for a few years but haven't worn it for awhile because of the length.  The mid-calf thing just wasn't doing it for me anymore.  But I absolutely love the bright colors and the pattern, so I decided to refashion it into something I would wear.


First off, I had to get rid of the drawstring.  It was more for looks anyway, and it would just be in the way with a belt, so out it came!


It was time to chop some length off!  Because there was a pattern on the skirt and it looked fairly even, I just measured the length I wanted it to be and added about 1-1/2" for the hem.  As you can see the cat wanted to help.


I cut off the length. 


This skirt had a lining, so I cut it about 1" shorter than the skirt so it would be hidden underneath.  This one I had to measure.


The skirt had some bead work on it, but it was coming out in a few places so I just decided to remove it all.  Good ole seam ripper to the rescue!


Next I folded under the lining and the skirt fabric to finish the seams and pressed.


I sewed the hems of both the lining and the skirt, close to the edge.


I pressed it all nice and pretty and off I went!


I really loved how it turned out!   Much more me now than before!

4 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...