Monday, August 18, 2014

Another Easy Dress to Skirt Refashion Tutorial



This dress was actually my 11 year old daughter's that she was going to donate.  I got it for a steal at 50 cents at a thrift store.  I loved the fabric and how light and airy it was.  Hmmm...could mommy wear it?  Absolutely!

As this picture shows, I couldn't wear it as a dress, but I could certainly make a skirt out of it.


First off was to cut off the top portion.  Let the seam ripper go to work!


I was going to use the elastic that was already there, but when I tried to tighten it the elastic started breaking so I had to cut it off and add new.


I needed to make a new casing for the elastic.  I measured how long I wanted the skirt to be and then folded it over twice to finish the edge and make the casing.


Stitch the casing down leaving an opening for the elastic.  Run your elastic through the casing.


Stitch the ends together as shown.


Finish by  sewing your casing closed.


Press your new skirt and it's ready to wear.  Did I mention this dress-turned-skirt had pockets!  Bonus!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! great idea i will have to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Delores! It was very easy to do. Hope you try it. :)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...