Thursday, July 24, 2014

Tips For Cleaning Out Your Closet

I go through my closet about 2 or 3 times a year to decide what I want to keep and what to do with the rest.  If it's taking up space in my closet, I want to make sure I'm wearing it.

Over the last year or so I have decided to keep only pieces in my closet that I truly love.  I used to think that "more" was better and would constantly shop to fill up my closet.  I would end up with a bunch of "One Hit Wonders" and pieces I really didn't like or didn't go with anything else in my closet.  Now I have learned to re-work the clothes that I do love and wear them in several different ways.  When I shop, I ask myself if that particular item is versatile enough to wear at least 3 different ways.  If so, I generally buy it, if not, it stays on the rack.

When going through my "questionable" clothes, I sort them into 3 different piles.
  1. Refashion/Repair:  In this pile, I have to really decide if it's worth keeping and fixing it up, or is it just going to sit in a pile forever.  I've learned to be choosy about this because I hate feeling guilty about not turning it into something more exciting...and I'm okay with that!
  2. Donate:  For this pile, I make sure items are still wearable.  If I wouldn't buy something stained or torn, I doubt anyone else would either.
  3. Trash:  If an item doesn't make the first two piles, it goes into the this pile.  This is the pile that is beyond hope.  I may love a t-shirt, but if it's not worth donating it needs to go in this pile...and again, I'm okay with that!
Even though I love all the pieces in my closet, I still go through them a few times a year to make sure they are worth keeping.  For some reason I tend to do this mid-summer and mid-winter.  I guess it all works out because if I haven't worn an item and don't plan on it, I may as well get it out of the closet!
After going through my closet, I make a list of items that I would like to add to my closet.  I keep this list on my smartphone, so whenever I'm out shopping I can refer to it instead of trying to remember everything.

This was the donation pile (a few things are my daughter's), all going to a new home!  It doesn't look like much, but it was a pretty big pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...