Thursday, July 17, 2014

T-shirt To Cute Summer Dress Refashion Tutorial


I think this may be one of my favorite refashions yet!  It's bright and unique!  I started out with a man's XL t-shirt so the sleeve length would be longer and also the length of the dress.  I tried on the t-shirt and pinned where I wanted to take it in.  I wanted it a little loose for summer.  Sew where the pins are and cut the seam allowance to about 1/4".


Next, I took some scrap green t-shirt fabric and cut it into 5" wide strips (and whatever length they happened to be).  This will be for the bottom ruffle.


Sew the green strips end-to-end, right sides together.  Sew the two final ends together to make a long tube.  Ruffle this green tube of fabric.  The easiest way I have found to do this is to set your STITCH LENGTH to the longest stitch setting and set your TENSION to the tightest setting.  This will ruffle the fabric as it sews.  Genius!


Pin your ruffle to the bottom of the t-shirt as shown and sew along one of the existing seams on the t-shirt.  You don't have to finish the edge, unless you prefer, because knits don't fray.


You can leave it as is, or I decided to embellish the dress for a unique look.  I took some other scraps of the same green t-shirt and made 1" strips and sewed them together as I did for the ruffle above.  Then pull on the ends to get them to roll.


I pinned them on my new dress in a random, curly fashion.


Carefully sew your embellishment, removing your pins as you go.  I did this on the back neckline as well.  After trying the dress on, I decided it needed some tweaking, so I cut off the neck band...


Cut off the length of the sleeves (I know, I know, that's why I bought the XL).  Then stretched the fabric to get it to roll.


The finished dress!  I loved how it turned out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...