Monday, July 7, 2014

Ruffled T-shirt Tutorial



This is one of my favorite refashions!  I love taking something boring and adding some pizazz to it!  This started out as a man's size L t-shirt.

I turned the t-shirt wrong side out and pinned.  You'll notice the pin in the middle.  That is where I cut the length to use for my ruffles.


Cut off the length where you want.  Knits don't fray, so you don't have to finish the edge.  Bonus!


From the piece you just cut, cut off the bottom seam.


Now, take the excess fabric and cut into strips.  Mine was only wide enough to cut into 2 strips.

Sew along the side seams on your shirt where you pinned.  Cut off excess fabric, leaving about 3/8" seam allowance.  Again, I just eyeballed it!


Take this excess fabric and cut in strips lengthwise for your ruffle.  Mine was only wide enough to cut in two.  Don't worry about the underarm seam, it won't matter when you're all done.

Next, sew all your strips together, end to end, until you have a lone strip.  Make sure the seams are all on the same side (trust me on this one!).  To ruffle the strip is very easy.  Set your machine to the longest stitch and tightest tension.  I stitched mine strip down the center so it ruffled on both sides.  Then let the machine do it's magic!


Next you will pin your ruffle to your t-shirt.  As you can see, I cut the original collar and folded it down and pinned the ruffle to that.  Make any pattern you like with your ruffle.


Sew down your ruffle on the same seam you ruffled.


You are done!  This is how mine turned out and I love it! I get so many compliments on it!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...